Saturday, November 08, 2008

10 Ways to be Happier

Gretchen Rubin's article posted in Yahoo's main page the other day list 10 suggestions for making yourself a happier person, and after a quick read through her comments I have to disagree.

Can one really be a happier person by faking happiness until sheer repetition of lying to yourself kicks into high gear? I doubt it. When selling insurance years ago, we took a course on becoming a good salesperson and one segment dealt with just that. Simply saying to yourself, "I'm a good salesperson", or "I'm happy", or "I would make a good vice-president" won't actually make it happen. Case in point, Sarah Palin.

How about another one of Gretchen's ideas of letting yourself go by deliberately doing something you know your bad at. Hmmm. Let's see, I hate myself so I will hurt my ego even more by deliberately messing something else up. Good idea.

Or how about buying happiness? Sure that works every time for me. Not. I'm sure if that were the case, everyone who was wealthy would be happy and obviously that's simply not true. Some of the richest people I know are miserable.

Finally her suggestion to simply shut up and stop nagging is a great way to end up in an institution in my book. Pent-up frustration always has a way of coming out one day, especially if your angst continues unabated.

Now, when I first read through this article my first reaction was that there might be a difference between men and women when it comes to happiness, but after careful thought, I decided that isn't the case either.

Here is my top ten list for finding happiness.

1. Get over yourself.

2. Understand you may be to blame, at least in part.

3. Find out exactly why you aren't happy.

4. Take a deep breath and count to ten.

5. Talk to a close friend who will stop and listen until your done.

6. Challenge yourself to speak up, or change the situation.

7. Look for professional help if the problem doesn't go away.

8. Slow down and smell the roses at least once a week.

9. Learn how to accept what life throws your way even if it's not always good.

10. Share a little love with someone you don't know.

Until the next post, I wish everyone joy and happiness!

No comments: