Wednesday, September 17, 2008

UFO Reports Continue

As a "Cheesehead" it was hard not to find interest in this story because it took place relatively close to home. Being that this is my first post on the unexplained, I suppose it would be appropriate to let my readers know my beliefs about UFOs, the supernatural and the paranormal.

I don't really have any. Not yet anyway.

So let's move on to the story at hand. What is so interesting is that this incident was called to the attention of the police and not one but five of them seem to be as perplexed as the common man who reported it, (and there were many).

Historically, UFOs have been with us for as long as we have had the ability to write. As you may already know, the Bible has several accounts of the supernatural, but in the Book of Enoch (which was summarily tossed out by the Roman council on establishing a universal religion) there were some detailed accounts of UFOs. Not that the term UFO was used in those days. By the way, this council was also the same group of enlightened souls that decided it was best to tell us the World was flat, something which unfortunately, several people still believe today despite reports to the contrary.

Even before the Book of Enoch was penned, the earliest writings from Summarian times also talked about our existence being created for the purpose of cheap alien labor.

There are Egyptian hieroglyphs, medieval paintings, and even ancient African folklore passed down through the millenia which detail, in their own crude way, strange things that happened in the skies above.

In fact, throughout history, no matter what part of the world we investigate, (including Wake Island) there is a common link to UFOs. So much that one wonders why we don't try to make more sense of it than we do.

The problem is that it tends to get in the way of our other spiritual beliefs, and therefor has a tendency to make us feel powerless, as well as less than the top dogs in the solar system which we have spent just as long trying to prove.

I really wonder what happens in the minds of good Christian people who suddenly see unexplained objects hovering overhead and then suddenly disappear? Does this mere observation suddenly call into question their whole belief system?

Now I've heard some tell me that if they knew Jesus didn't exist, there would be no point to living. Hmmm. I have to take objection to that line of thought. Primarily because that reflects a complete lack of thought in the first place. Isn't the simple act of living make life worth living?

Aren't we equipped with the ability to reason, to love and to adapt given adverse situations? I hope so, but just as in the case with the most recent hurricane, Ike, that hit Texas last week, plenty of people decided to stay right where they were because of a belief system which prevented them to help themselves despite certain catastrophe.

When your Governor tells you being in the path of the hurricane constitutes certain death, you would think that would be enough. Unfortunately not. How easily people can turn off their reasoning circuits and face death head-on. May be it's good for population control, but not so good for the collective us.

Now, just a few more words here. I am not what you would call a "doubting Thomas" because to tell you the truth, doubt is something I have when all the information has been presented to me and then I disagree. So, in the case of Aliens from outer space, and modern religion, I am more of an undecided until further information has been presented type.

Faith is all well and good for most, but when it comes to making a life changing decision, I would prefer to have the facts around me and be confident in knowing what the outcome is before action is taken. I have faith the sun will come up tomorrow because it did so yesterday and the day before that, etc. Blind faith, if I was so inclined, may lead me to believe that the sun wouldn't come up tomorrow.

Blind faith worries me, because in essence, the only way I could have derived this type of belief is because someone is trying to coerce me, whether it be in a convincing argument or in written form, there is still a complete lack of evidence and usually a surprising amount of logic that tends to state otherwise.

I guess my point is that we shouldn't even believe what we think we see, even if it is our job to observe and protect the laws that govern us. Not because it may constitute a complete re-examination of our core belief system, but because we as humans place much too high an emphasis on our beliefs in the first place. Especially, if it causes us to act in ways that are harmful to ourselves or to others around us.

Can we agree to simply observe what we see and take that experience for what it is? Can we simply walk through the course of our lives and experience it happily not needing to fit it into convenient little personal boxes that trigger our inner fear mechanisms?

How shattering it must have been for so many people who were suddenly confronted with the knowledge that the Earth was in fact round. How could they place Heaven and Hell anymore? In fact, several people's lives were cut short simply because if this change in belief.

To me, that constitutes a sort of universal failure on our part. Let's say aliens do exist, does that mean Jesus didn't? For my own sake, I hope we don't have to find out the answer to that question because I don't think the human condition could handle it very well.

Strangely, if one looks deep enough, there really might be room for both, but that's another story all together. As is the case with almost everything ... anything is possible.

No comments: